Thursday 21 July 2016

Opeth - Still Life

For whatever reason I've never actually properly set down and listened to Opeth's fourth album. I'm not sure why I've never given it the time of the day, in fact for some reason I had instilled in myself the now completely-utterly-disgustingly wrong belief that the album wasn't actually that good: too winding/directionless, lacking the grand set-pieces and jaw-dropping moments of magic. I was more than pleasantly surprised when I sat down to listen to it on the long and warm journey from the south to the north, across 2 countries. The album is the perfect mix between the heavily atmospheric journeys of Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse and the epic standalone songs of Blackwater Park. I undestand the album is loosely a concept album, and I haven't focused on the lyrics at all yet, but the romantic undertones juxtaposed against Akerfeel's multi-dimensional growls is stunning. 

Anyway, I leave you with a song from the album - 'Serenity Painted Death' - that never fails to excite, particularly the heavier sections that, through the power of squealing and spiralling string bends and groovy riffage aplenty, are impossible to not headbang too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment